Find a Pro in Scotland, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement is dependent on the dimensions of your roof, but there are also a lot of other things to consider. The typical roof for a residence is approximately 3,000 sq. feet (or less), so generally speaking, a roofing professional can finish a roof replacement within a working day.
Another thing you should take into consideration is the weather report in your area. Storms will make working conditions unpleasant and this is going to delay the project. If this is going on during your scheduled project, you should anticipate your roof taking three to five days to finish.
The layout of your roof is another thing that you should consider. Its pitch, the number of angles, valleys, and hips will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for your project. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement professional will be able to estimate a timeline for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost option, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. Truthfully, you’ll see most homes in your neighborhood with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are strong and do a great job of protecting your property while being more budget friendly. Also, they’re versatile and they’ll look great on any home.
Asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more expensive options. They usually have a lifespan of 15-20 years. But you can always purchase top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
You should replace your roof when repairs won't hold up. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re putting up with these types of problems:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of it needing to be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are very common on residential spaces and these typically have a 15-20 year lifespan. When the roof on your property has aged this much, it’s a smart choice to get routine inspections in order to figure out when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a clue that the plywood decking is rotted. This isn't a good sign, and this does mean you need your roof replaced.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects your entire property, so it should come as no surprise that the materials that make up your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s difficult to know exactly how much a roof replacement is going to come out to since there are a few things that will determine the overall cost. Usually, a new roof can cost anywhere from $4 to $40 per square foot, which includes labor and the materials used. The price of your new roof will be determined by the materials you want for your roof, and you can expect that 60% of your cost will be for labor.
Estimating the size of your roof can also be tricky if you have a more complex roof since you’ll have to factor in hips, gabbles, and other angles. This is where a roofing professional can be helpful to you. They’ll be able to determine the measurements of your roof and give you an accurate estimate on the price of your roof.
Top 10 Professionals nearHome // Maryland // Scotland
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
Roofing Repair & Roofing Replacement Services near Scotland, MD
Thumbtack is the perfect home improvement site that helps you hire roofing maintenance professionals in Scotland, MD. See what other customers have to say, talk directly with the roofing maintenance contractor you’re interested in, book a service appointment, and pay all from one easy-to-use app.
Our app also puts together useful data to help you prior to browsing through our database of vetted roofing contractors.
Routine checkups can help you stay on top of any wear-and-tear before it gets worse and allows you to extend the life of your roof. So, how do you know when you need roofing maintenance services? You may realize there are certain signs of wear such as:
- Leaking: Water stains on the ceiling or walls are a sign of a leaky roof. A good roofer can make repairs right away and prevent it from getting worse.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood used for decking can end up warping or are bending under pressure.
- Granule Buildup in Gutters: When you find an accumulation of granules from your shingles in your gutters, it could indicate that your shingles are wearing down. A roofing maintenance specialist will keep your gutters clean and functioning properly.
- Damaged flashing: Broken flashing lets water penetrate the sealed joints. Reach out to a roofing contractor to fix worn out, missing, or faulty flashing to avoid leaks.
- Shingles: Having your shingles inspected can help you know if it's time for them to be replaced. If you see some discoloration on your shingles, you’ll want to replace them so that your roof doesn't sustain more damages.
Thumbtack is a free app providing you with a hassle-free solution to hire the right contractors to address your roofing needs. Whether you need to hire a roofing repair company or a replacement contractor, your part of the process is made easier with our app.