Find a Pro in Salem, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a stable roof is because it provides security for your home, increases your home's value, and makes your home more energy efficient.
The roof is the barrier that offers protection for the rest of your home. It defends against harsh weather, falling objects, and more. This means if your roof isn't stable, your home could develop some leaks, which can lead to other problems.
Your roof also does so much for your curb appeal. Because it’s such a fundamental component of your home, a well-maintained roof illustrates a great deal of stability. If you were looking to sell, a buyer would be thrilled about your home if it has a strong, durable roof protecting it.
Finally, having an energy efficient house makes anyone happy. It means your energy bills aren't expensive and that your house maintains a comfortable temperature.
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The amount of time that is needed to replace a roof really depends on the measurements of your roof, but there are also many other factors to consider. The typical roof for a residential property is about 3,000 sq. feet, so generally speaking, a roofing professional can finish a roof replacement within a working day.
Something else you should take into consideration is the projected weather in your area. Storms will put a damper on work and this is going to stall the job. If this is going on during your scheduled project, you should anticipate your roof taking a few more days to complete.
The layout of your roof is another thing that you should consider. Its pitch, the number of joints, valleys, and hips will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is quoting you on your project. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement professional will be able to estimate a timeline for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are going to be the most budget friendly solution for your new roof, and just because they are the lower-cost product, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. In fact, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs since they are reliable and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your home needs in addition to being more budget friendly. Plus, they’re versatile and they’ll look good on any house.
However, asphalt shingles do need to be replaced more often than the more expensive materials. They typically have a 15-20 year lifespan. But there is the option to purchase top-quality asphalt shingles that do perform even better.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof should be an option when fixing up sections just don’t do the job anymore. A roof replacement is required if you’re dealing with these kinds of problems:
- AGE: If your roof has aged, the possibility of it needing to be replaced is more pressing. Asphalt shingles are a normal selection for residential spaces and these typically have a 15-20 year warranty. When your roof is around this age, it’s a good choice to get routine inspections in order to figure out when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: When your roof is drooping, it's a clue that the plywood decking is damaged. Sagging is not ideal, and this usually means you need your roof replaced.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof defends the rest of your home, so there should be no shock that the materials that make up your roof will get worn out over time.
Top 10 Professionals nearHome // New York // Salem
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
Roofing Maintenance Contractors near Salem, NY
You can look to Thumbtack to simplify your search for roofing maintenance services in Salem, NY. Our user-friendly platform gives you all the convenience you need, so you can search through dozens of profiles and easily narrow down your options. We help with the hiring process by giving you access to detailed customer reviews, pricing, years in business, and more. Begin your search for a roofing maintenance contractor on the app and hire the best candidate for your project.
Our platform also collects useful data to help you prior to browsing through our database of vetted roofing professionals.
For the most part you'll know when you need to call in a roofing replacement or roofing repair contractor, but here are some other things about your roof to take into consideration:
- Age: In general, 20-25 years is expected of a roof. If you know your roof is older than that, it might be time to call a roofing contractor to come check it out.
- Sagging Roof Decks: Get repairs immediately if you notice a sagging roof deck since it can cause serious problems. Professional roofing repairs will remediate the problem and avoid a replacement.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: Excessive granules from shingles accumulate in your gutters, and disintegrating shingles are not a promising sign. A roofing maintenance company will clean your gutters in addition to examining your shingles.
- Broken flashing: Broken flashing lets water get to the sealed joints. Get in touch with a roofing company to fix worn out, missing, or damaged flashing so you don’t have to deal with leaks.
- Shingles: Having your shingles inspected can help you know if replacing them is necessary. If you see some discoloration on your shingles, replacing those is a smart idea so that your roof doesn't sustain more damages.
Hire someone who can make your roofing maintenance a streamlined process. Once you’ve found the right fit, then it's just getting your quote and scheduling an appointment to get your roof in order.